So recently everyone has been talking about the small towns that they are from. Granted, they may have less people living in their town or fewer people in their graduating class, however in my eyes Krum, TX will always be an amazing small town in Texas. When I was born, Krum housed right at 1,500 residents. It seems like over night the pastures of wheat have turned to neighborhoods of houses. Even though the population today is about 2,000, when I stop at the 4-way stop in the heart of Krum, I still see the tiny town that I saw 10 years ago. To this day, at 3:10 when school has just let out, I can still get into the only turning lane in Krum and look next to me and tell you exactly who owns that car. If I am not able to do that, I can tell you that the car to the left is obviously not from Krum. I have not been home in well over a month, and that is really starting to get to me. My sister goes on and on about how she doesn't like the small town that I will forever call home, but I know deep down she misses it too. Even though I am contradicting my last post when I said that I am glad that I left town (which I still am!), it sure feels great to go back every once in a while. My whole life I have not gone a whole week without seeing at least one set of my grandparents. I have not gone more than a few days without seeing my parents. I have not gone many days without sleeping in my bed. Nor have I ever gone very long without seeing my precious animals. Well I have not gone very long without all of this until August 20, 2010, AKA my 18th birthday. On this day I packed up and left town without knowing if I would ever return back as a resident. With being a little home sick the past few weeks, the anticipation of spring break in a week is killing me. I get to spend a whole week at home! This means that I get to see my grandparents, parents, animals, my bed, and my home town! This means that I get to set at the 4-way stop and look at every stop sign and see someone I know. I get to go to Sonic and determine just how much of a tip I plan to give the car hop on how close I was with them in high school. I get to go to the gas station and talk to the grouchy old ladies that work in there about how amazing it is to mix coke and cherry flavored Iccees, while they shake their head mad that I would do such a thing. I get to go sit in Johnny Joes and scratch off lotto tickets (that I can now buy legally). I get to drive the backroads with my friends. I get to park my car under a roof, in the barn. I get to enjoy a backyard, there is nothing better than laying in the hammock under the tree in the backyard on a warm day. I get to talk to the coolest mail lady in the world when I meet her at the mail box at approximately 3:25 (she now has a Tech sticker on the back of her mail car!) I get to dodge the pot hole in our road. I get to break every rule of driving that my grandpa has ever told me just to see how fast I can "safely" go around the S-curve headed out to my house. I get to drive on a dirt/gravel road again. I get to get honked at on the high-way because I have come to a near stop just because I am checking the new crop of horses that Cecil Jones has just put out in his front pasture. I get to laugh at the Krum cops attempt to set a speed trap, when in all actuality they are parked halfway out in the road, in the way of oncoming traffic. I get to drive by the school and see my younger friends light up the bright new marquee for their accomplishments. I get to walk into the ag barn like I own that place and look at the animals that I not so secretly wish that I could still show. I can run out to the front fence when I hear sirens and tell you almost certainly where they are headed. I get to see the coolest little cousin in the world, Daniel. I get the opportunity to ride horses. I get to run around the horse lot filled with dirt clods, while barefoot. I get to read the Krum Star in print. (The one and only newspaper that I read) I get to go to Miguletos, a grossly amazing mexican food restaurant. I get to go to best store in Denton, Weldon's Saddle Shop, where I can see the people that I got to see daily my senior year. I get to see the sunset. More importantly than most, I get to see Toedo, the most amazing dog ever! Also, I get to see the great friends that I still have in Krum. While Lubbock is an amazing place to live, Krum will always be my home and it sure feels good to go back ever so often and do the things that I grew up loving to do.






No comments:
Post a Comment